RANDWICK LIBRARYRandwick City Council Royal Randwick Shopping Centre, Belmore Road, Randwick NSW 2031 900 sqm Interior Design and Construction Documentation Construction completed September 2009
- Everything is perfect. Staff, library and all amenities. I love the library now. Gaye
- What a brilliant place!
- Wow what a change, the new look is super but the friendly staff are the same. Thank you for help and smiles.
- Brilliant – wonderful and very helpful staff!
- It looks so full of space, but apparently there’s more books than before – Well Done.
- Fabulous concept well realized – love the colour, the natural light and the sophistication of the lamps on the front desks. Congratulations all.
- Wow! This is just great what you have done. Gail
- Fantastic! Sarah age 12
- I like the horse Luci 4
- We are going to come a lott!!!! (sic)
- The flashes(sic) library I’ve ever seen!
- Better than Borders congratulations best library in Randwick City. Marie
- We are loving the new library and enjoying the holiday program for kids. Well done everyone! Savina, Lucette et Viviene
- I’m amazed at the transformation. Denise
- Looking forward to coming here! It looks fantastic! Great job! Michelle and Steph
- One of its kind, absolutely wonderful, Jackie!!
- Great concept, love the design and space. Claude
- What a beautiful and functional space. Congratulations Linda
- Spectacular. A wonderful space. Congratulations. Meredith
- Fantastic – colour, space, equipment. All the best. Julie
- This is a lovely space and a wonderful modern library. Sarah
- Magnificent light-filled illuminating library
- Development of the design brief, with extensive consultation with the Council and the Staff team as well as a series of public and neighbourhood consultation meetings and workshops.
- Planning options for Development Application approval.
- Collection Analysis, feasibility and projections, space allocation analysis.
- Design and Documentation of the Interior architecture.
- Consultation during tendering process.
- Ongoing consultation during construction.
Some of the key objectives were:
- To provide natural lighting to the library.
- To maximize the Library’s exposure from the retail areas of the Shopping Centre, and open up the library into adjacent circulation areas.
- To create an identity for the Library by linking its design and finishes to local landmarks that the users relate to.
- To provide cutting edge technology for patrons and staff members within a warm and friendly environment.
- To provide a welcoming focal point for the lounging areas by not using regimented shelving layouts.
- To provide a flexible variety of study and meeting options for patrons.
- Re location of the Early Childhood Centre, providing private entrance and independent opening hours.
- Warm and friendly environment within a cutting edge use of technology and materials.
- Focal point created by the use of radial shelving layout and overhead skylight.
- Natural lighting provided to lounging and reading areas.
- Flexible Meeting Rooms catering for group studying, training, functions and children’s activities.
- Openness to circulation areas adjacent to Library by the use of full height glazed perimeter walls.
- Purpose designed areas for Young Adults, Children and Seniors, with ergonomically correct furniture and design features.
- Specifically designed mural incorporating historical, geographical and social landmarks that identify the Randwick area and its people.