Victor Couch Library
>PROJECT SUMMARY>TESTIMONIALS>KEY OBJECTIVES
Project Name: Client: Address: Size: Our Scope: Status:
VICTOR COUCH LIBRARY Australian Catholic University MacKillop Campus, North Sydney, NSW 2060 1500 sqm Interior Design and Construction Documentation January 2005
COMING SOON…>CKDI INVOLVEMENT
- Development of the design brief.
- Development of a Master Plan for both levels of the library including relocation of activities of the university within the library to other areas of the campus and overall redistribution of space.
- Documentation of different stages of the Master Plan.
- Design and documentation for Stage 1 of the Master Plan.
- Consultation and site visits during construction of Stage 1.
- Preparation of Defect List
TheAustralianCatholicUniversityengaged CK Design International to develop a master plan for the whole library (1500 sqm) and a detailed layout and design of the entrance area and upper floor (750 sqm) with particular attention to the design of the circulation desk and staff areas. Some of the key objectives were:>OUTCOMES
- Create a more spacious and welcoming feeling to the entrance.
- Create a better-designed circulation desk.
- Create more spaces for group study and increase personal study space
- Better distribution of space overall.
- Bring library staff together in one area.
- Redistribute areas (computer labs, meeting rooms and conference room) to improve the flow of students and avoid waiting groups within the study area of the library.
- Highly functional entrance area with Circulation Desk in close proximity of staff Area.
- New elegant, playful, distinctive and overall coherent look for interior architecture and selection of finishes, working with the signage and the carpet design to emphasize and delineate key areas of the library and facilitate the flow of students to avoid unnecessary queuing and disorientation.
- New approach to signage, based on intuitive easy reading for overseas students.
- Cost effective upgrading of existing areas including amenities, stairwell, copiers areas, to reflect the new identity of the library.
- Creation of an Information Commons with enlarged areas for group study and increased number of computers.